AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter width vs planter efficiency scenarios (long)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

cornholio
Posted 5/28/2009 05:23 (#725419 - in reply to #725282)
Subject: Re: Planter width vs planter efficiency scenarios (long)

I genereally agree with how you've calculated everything but I'd like to throw out a couple of other factors. If you go from two smaller planters to one big planter you're going to put the better driver on that planter. That can have a bigger impact on efficiency than everything else put together. I believe that increased productivity is good even if you give up a little bit of efficiency. I like Chad H's approach of having a big planter and a smaller planter running together. If 2 people are going to paint a bedroom it's nice for one to have a roller and the other a 3" brush. Last but not least, during my life I've seen people in my area go from 4 row to 6 to 8 to 12, etc. and from 2 row cotton pickers to 4row to 6 row and from 4 row combines to 12 etc. and this same argument always comes up. Some old timer throws out the comment about "if one breaks I've still got something moving" but guess what, you never see anyone go back to smaller equipment. I would go so far as to say that those who argue against bigger equipment end up sounding pretty silly in hindsight.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)