AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD vac planter on Magnum...again!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Virginia Veg.
Posted 5/15/2009 21:17 (#714703 - in reply to #714679)
Subject: Thats ok.

Eastern VA. No such thing as too many Magnums.
Its ok to disagree. I was just sharing my experience. There must have been different needle regulators on different years of Deere planters, because we opened the needle valve all the way open and it would NOT let enough oil through to get high vac pressure for esets. There's nothing wrong with the motor. Others on this forum have had the same experience. The orifice is too small. Someone eluded to an adjustable orifice?, but ours was simply a flat disk orifice. So they may have changed the design at some point.

I'd also like to add this: I fully understand the system and can set a vac motor all day long. I didn't mean to imply that the priority #1 setup wouldn't work, or that it couldn't be done. I meant to say that it is an irritating setup that results in un-necessary confusion for many. What is the point? All the special attention, pushing the handle the wrong way and ever so exact adjustment. Why not just put it on a different SCV. If you run a sump hose, there's no reason to have to go to float. No adjustment, easy peazy. We've never had heated oil, ever. Even when running multiple motors on #2 and #3.

The other thing, is that setting the flow on the 7110-7150 was not as simple as the 72s and 89s. The dash adjustment cable often wouldn't work and then you had to use a wrench under the cab. I can do it, you can do it, and most people can do it, it's just that the priority setup was a poor design that many don't understand and that no one should have to deal with. Hence they discontinued it. Otherwise I love those tractors. We've had a bunch of them and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Probably will too. But their hydraulics were no match for Deere's of the same era and even earlier. But hey, everyone is entitled to use their own technique.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)