AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ez-out broke
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 5/15/2009 09:29 (#714157 - in reply to #714119)
Subject: RE: ez-out broke

just a tish NE of central ND
Jon - 5/15/2009 08:59

First thing I would do is take your package of easy outs and throw them in the junk never to be sean again. I cannot think of a tool that is more worthless. How in the world to you expect an object that is stuck tight enough to twist or break off to come out with somthing exserting force trying to expand it as it screws in...

Now that we have that settled get your wire feed welder out take your pliers and hold a flat washer one sizee larger than the bolt you are removeing. Weld the flat washer to the broken bold. Now take a nut of some size and put it on the flat washer. Weld the inside of the nut full. Now drink a pepsi and pet the dog for a few minuts while that thing cools,,, Take your air impact with the right size socket for the nut and put it on there and start gently viberating till it comes out or breaks off. If it breaks off start back and 1 and repeat till it comes out. Trust me it will.
If you don't have a wire feed welder it can be done with a stick but it is slow and you get enough slag in your weld that you might have to fight it a few times. I would find a budy with a wire feed welder if you don't have one. Jon

Ditto on the wire welder and nut trick.
I have also ground a hack saw blade down to fit inside the drilled out bolt and cut the bolt in to 3 peices. Not fast, but very effective. You just have to watch not to saw into the casting.I once removed a twisted off spark plug out of a head of a pontiac sunbird using this method. It works. If you are scared of getting shavings into the oil, put a strong cow stomach magnet on the blade and tape it there to make a makeshift handle and the blade magnatizes and catches the fileings.

I never have too much luck with easy outs either unless it is a sheared off bolt, and not a twised off bolt.

Edited by School Of Hard Knock 5/15/2009 09:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)