AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spider bite
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

will
Posted 3/29/2009 21:51 (#661562 - in reply to #660461)
Subject: Got a 6" scar to prove it

SC
Was on our excavator one day last june with the door open, lots of critter/crawlers flying in and out as i was in the woods clearing a spot. Also might add that there were all kinds of spiders and spider webs everywhere. That evening i noticed a small really red pimple on my left elbow, i figured spider got mashed a little between my elbow and the arm rest and decided to get even with me. The next morning it was larger and swelling. Took off to the doc, and he put me on steroids, said it looked like a spider bite to him, this was a friday. Kept taking the steroids all weekend and was back at the same doc monday when he opened. Elbow and arm red, hot and swollen. He said it looks infected and prescribed antibiotics. Go home pretty much useless, but manage to plant about 50 acres of soybeans in alot of pain. That night i never slept, and my arm/elbow felt like a really big strong guy had hit me in the elbow with a 20# sledgehammer. Back to my doc, and he sends me to hospital about 30 miles away, hurting like nothing i have ever felt before, i drove it in about 25 minutes. Got there and they took one look and i could tell it was not good. Morphine pushed in through a vein too fast will really make your head hurt, but i told the nurse to hurry so thats my bad. Next was surgery, course i got sent to LALA land by a nurse that told me she was going to make me happy when i asked what she was doing. Came to in a room, with arm bandaged and still swollen badly, actually my hand was even swollen. Docs came in later, told them i had to get back to planting, and they said i was going no where soon so get used to it. Pissed off, cause i cant get out of there. They said i would be there long enough for them to test the infection and find out what it is. Few days go by with some pretty gross stuff coming out of my arm. Still hurt alot, but only took one or two more pain shots in the iv, but that was the good stuff, dont remember what the name was, but WOW, some good sleep. They confirmed CA-MRSA. Finally got to leave 7 days later, with a 6" x 2" gash in my arm that had to be cleaned daily for a few weeks. Elbow still hurt, and didnt have much use of it for about two weeks. Really didnt do much but run pivots and supervise while healing until corn harvest started around August 10 or so. Still was not completely healed then, but was closed all the way by the time we finished with corn. Now have 6" scar, and dam proud to have the arm around it. Could have been worse, it was a scary thing for me at least.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)