AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Architectural salvage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

plowgirl
Posted 3/29/2009 21:39 (#661532)
Subject: Architectural salvage

next to Plowboy

Has anyone else gotten into this craze? I've always had a fascination for old buildings, antiques and the like.

Yesterday was my first "official" architectural salvage experience.....as in....I went and I bought! The local U.M. Church is set for razing in about 3 weeks. I got a phone call yesterday morning, that the salvage sale was going on, "Was I still interested?" the caller asked. Heck ya, I was!

It was cold and raining/snowing, and I managed to talk PBoy into staying home with PBaby. The auction was actually a silent auction. All the architectural elements had bid sheets on them, and you just walked around and wrote your name and dollar amount. There were only about 15 people there. Lucky me!!!!

I got 4 solid wood pocket doors, they measure 6'x7', 2 of the swinging doors that led to the sanctuary...solid wood with old, thick glass windows, and 3 other various solid wood doors. If you bought the doors, you got all the trimwork and casings with them. They are all HEAVY. Total cost?? 50 bucks! I think I did pretty good! Couldn't have bought one of the pocket doors for $100 let alone 9 doors.

PBoy and I went in today to "get a plan" on how to remove my purchases. Then my 2 WONDERFUL brothers-in-law show up, and suddenly we had a crew AND a plan! All the doors are now safely in storage. I have to go back tomorrow and pick out the trim I want to keep. Will just leave what I don't want.

What am I going to do with them? They will become "free standing" walls or space dividers in the basement.

Look for me to blog about this tomorrow, complete with some pictures.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)