AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Now that I've been set straight,
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fla Veggie Farmer
Posted 11/25/2006 13:04 (#65353 - in reply to #65346)
Subject: RE: Now that I've been set straight,

Southeast Florida
I grew up in S Fl. I'm 6th generation from that part of the world. My dad's family moved from Charleston SC to Arcadia, Fl in 1850. I'm now 41 years old and we lost our house and belongings in West Palm Beach area in hurricane Jean 2 years ago. We found out how good our insurance was, useless! FEMA, useless! I'm not black, Hispanic or unemployed and we were told we made to much money for their assistance. We lost $500K in equity in the loss of our home. We lived in a camper for 18 months until my wife was leaving with or with out me. Homes in that area are over priced (including ours) and moved within hours and rentals were all taken. There are about 30K people with the same problem down there. I walked into the camper in July and said what do you think of going to Hawaii? She said hell yea! We flew out here without no job or knowing anybody. I gave my resume to the Dept. of Agriculture here and they got me in contact with a couple of people, I made a deal in a partnership to grow tomatos and bell-pepper here and other high-end crops out here. We've got a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom homes on the North Shore Oahu above the famous surf beach "Pipe Line" here now were a lot happier now.
I got caught up in corporate farming and I was miserable, couldn't take my kids or my wife with me to work; now I can.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)