AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stalk choppers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Virginia Veg.
Posted 11/18/2006 15:29 (#63099 - in reply to #62976)
Subject: Re: Stalk choppers

Eastern VA. No such thing as too many Magnums.
I've had both kinds. A Matthews cup style and a Loftness with the side knives. I have to say the Matthews cup style did have more suction to lift stalks into the shredding area. But we're cutting green sweet corn stalks, pepper stalks, and eggplant stalks. In dry grain corn fodder it doesn't seem to matter. I think I like the knife style better. I definitely like the Loftness better than the Matthews, but my friend has a Deere 220 and I like it too. I don't know if you have a lot of roads to travel and need end transport, but I recommend a 3 point version. I just never could keep employees from turning too short and hitting the toungue. I don't know why, but the shredders always seemed more susceptable than other implements for "employee tongue bending." You need at least 150 hp for a 20 foot 3 point shredder though. I also am NOT a fan of CV PTO joints. So we've gone to 3 point bush hogs and shredders. That way you don't have any hoses or cylinders to deal with or expensive CV joint PTOs. Better clearance for transport and maintenance too.

-Rafe-
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)