AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Driver belts for old drill press...........where to get??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tx68
Posted 3/2/2009 23:08 (#629631 - in reply to #629002)
Subject: Re: Driver belts for old drill press...........where to get??

Ontario
Got mine from our local bearing supply. Ran the leather belt up till a few years ago. The new stile is much better for not slipping so much and no dressing needed.
It is white rubber like on one side and brown cloth weave looking on the other against the pullys.
I used round baler splicing to hook it together.
Our drill is some age older than 1915 and made by Fairbanks. You can tighten the belt by loosening a bolt at the botom. Then tighten the
adjustable table down so it wont move. Then crank the table up which lifts the whole tube up. Then tighten the bolt back up on the
bottom of the big upright tube that the table slides and pivots on. On slow speed it handles a 3 inch bit no problem. It has 4 speeds
depending on which pulleys you have the belt on. I usually use a vice and let it float on the table. There is an arm on one end of the
vise that rotates the whole thing up against the frame of the drill so it wont spin around if the drill catches the part.
It has a little bit of a wiggle when the chuck turns so it is not the best for dilling very accurate hole spacings and it likes to
grab the part when breaking through because there is some play in the up and down mechanism but it is good for the heavy stuff.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)