AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best Bean for the South?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Deadduck
Posted 11/22/2008 11:03 (#513455 - in reply to #511912)
Subject: Re: Best Bean for the South?

Northeast Louisiana
Depending on how many acres you have, I would spread the maturities out. As you know, Group IV's are a big sucess in the South, but when they are ready, you don't have long to get them out before they shatter or rot. This past August down here in Louisiana proved to me that planting a thousand acres or more of Group IV's that will all be ready about the same time is risky. Some people down here lost all the soybeans they had with the rains and hurricanes. Likewise, "here" we have gotten away from planting a lot of the late Group V's like the 5915 because of insect and disease pressure.

But the 5915 is a good variety, and it wouldn't hurt to have some of these along with some Pioneer 94B73's and Asgrow 4703's, which are also very good. Deltapine also has a 5634 that has always been good to us, particularly on narrow rows. It will be a little earlier than the 5915. You should also check the UT soybean trials and see what your neighbors are planting.

I feel you on the 1460, I remember those days. If you want to make a beast out of it, get a specialty rotor for it, put rice spikes on at least the back half of it, and get the Kile, Stewart Steel, or other AFX style front for it. This is not the optimal setup for corn, but we have full spikes on our 2388, and run just fine in corn. Just replacing the elephant ears with the AFX front will help a lot. Also, while you're in there, make sure your vanes are in good shape, and run the adjustable ones in the forward or fast position to move the material on through.

Edited by Deadduck 11/22/2008 11:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)