AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exhaust Fertilizer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tobaboy
Posted 11/21/2008 10:22 (#512559 - in reply to #512284)
Subject: RE: Exhaust Fertilizer

Brandon MB
Biggest smile ever when he saw the combine, he just sat there and stared at it, now I have to get him one he can actually use!
The cost depends on the size of your tractor, maybe the 60k figure is a little high, but I know its atleast 40k for a 400+hp tractor, and then there is a tua of 15k per year each year after that.
I don't doubt that the technology does something, I just don't think it does much. So it solubilizes organic matter and perhaps releases some plant available nutrients, your still mining your soil long-term. Everybody who uses them comments on how there is no straw, but good yields, I get the same result when I don't fertilize without exhaust, decent yields not much straw. If your only returning a small amount of carbon in the form of straw back to the soil each year, your OM levels will no doubt decline over time, decreasing the inherent fertility of your soils. This is not a practice I plan on employing on our farm, perhaps the research will eventually suggest otherwise, or that there is some other benefit to the technology, but I'll wait and see on this one, I remain a skeptic. I think Ag canada did some research on it this year, but have yet to release their results, somebody correct me if they know otherwise. Some of the people using the systems actually use some fertilizer and then apply a bunch of foliar products, but I just think what is the point.
All this being said, I give the people trying this credit, I hope they gather some useful information from all their work, they are as I said in the previous post subjecting it to some third-party research, so you have to respect that. They are also being watched closesly and criticized by many people in the industry which is never easy.

Edited by tobaboy 11/21/2008 10:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)