AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More Beans Anyone?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 11/20/2008 08:21 (#511506 - in reply to #511072)
Subject: Re: More Beans Anyone?

Ron, I can remember back in the '60s my uncle planted a field to beans for seven years. At the time 45 bu beans were probably an average yield with some years you may hit 50 bu. Have a plaque & newspaper article where he won the county yield contest in the late '50s with a 57 bpa yield which was pretty much unheard of back then. Anyways, the 7th year that field made 25 bpa while the rest of the farm was in the upper 40s.

THat siad, I have a neighbor / friend that has been in continious beans for several years. Not sure how many but at least 5 & most likely longer. His beans this year looked as good as anybody's in the area & he took a lot of truckloads off though I have no idea of his yields & don't care to know. Haven't seen him spread dry fertilizer for awhile but he does a lot of foliar feeding with a sprayer. Probably sprayed some of his fields 5 or 6 times at least this year.

Personally, I always figured 1/3 of the fertilizer applied for corn went to beans the following year. If going beans a 2nd year, have done a couple times but don't like to, I always applied 150 - 200# of potash. Never have gone 3 years of beans but if I were I would consider adding phosphate besides the potash.

BTW, when going 2nd year corn we always drop our fertilizer rate by 1/3 upon recomendations of our soil consultant. I'll also add that for the 5th year in a row 2nd year corn was our best corn. Beans following 2 yrs corn was also our best beans again this year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)