AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kansas Terraces, NH3, Dry, RTK, VRT & Strip Till (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/19/2008 13:29 (#510768 - in reply to #510751)
Subject: Sealing

Driftless SW Wisconsin

We may be having one of those "Orange County Chopper" or "American Cycle" father and son days around the office here. For the record I don't watch that show but am familiar with it - we certainly don't use the language that they do - nor do I have any tatoos!

However I was there when we were making these strips and from my experience I don't think we were losing much for these conditions. The customer told me that he thought we were equal to or better than what a regular knife type nh3 applicator would lose under these conditions even though we were going 8.5 mph (as you can see on the Trimble display) - much faster than they would run a knife.

I applaud Joe's search for perfection and we are certainly making improvements. For example we have run this tine around the country very successfully however here in NE KS in this very wet November soil we are seeing more freezing on the end than elsewhere. We are on track to reduce that which will improve the sealing from what is shown. You will also see an intermittent puff when the tine bounces up for some reason such as a rock or crossing a combine tire track. Even this is mostly from the vent lines which are on every row.

Applying 150 units of N at 8.5 mph is a lot of nh3 per minute. We were sealing pretty darn well for the conditions.

I do keep renewing my old motorcycle drivers license for some reason....I don't think my old bike would keep up with his Ducati though.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/19/2008 13:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)