AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Recreational Tillage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 11/18/2008 07:51 (#509826 - in reply to #509783)
Subject: Re: Recreational Tillage

Aberdeen MS
In the areas where it's said "notill won't work", it's not so much of an agronomic failure as it is an economic situation.

It depends on the soil types mainly, then what is available to the grower for variety selection, being able to time certain beneficial procedures for no till with the climatic conditions for the area, the list goes on.

The county I farm in, before it was settled was a county of swamps and marshes as reported to the State of Minnesota by the platters of the land back in the 1850's. "Renville Co will probably be the least productive county due to the vast amount of swamps and marshes!!" A quote I remember reading about some of the early state history.

Broad spectrum drainage in the early 1900's has enabled this ground to be farmed, and subsequently Renville Co has for a number of years now been THE richest ag producing county in the state.

IF the seed industry could have available for an 80 day variety of corn that has the ability of achieving 200+ bpa, there would be a lot more no till in this area. Agronomically, that is what is required, economically it is unfeasible. Real world, economics is the driver. There is no amount of savings from no till in corn in "THIS" immediate area that can over come the economics of dragging some steel across the ground.

There are many more factors than just what I listed....but no one is willing to read a book of a posting listing the pros and cons of each for "this" area.

In a nutshell, agronomically no till will grow a crop anywhere in the world, economically is some areas, it will not.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)