AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Preg Checking - lesson learned
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/4/2008 18:08 (#497740 - in reply to #496797)
Subject: RE: Preg Checking - lesson learned - weaning/preg checking pics

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Thanks for the comments, Ben. I will try separate them as much as possible but all of my pastures have 4 separate lanes to all pastures and corn which converge at the waterer. I'm surprised the cows don't need a map to find their way thru the gates and lanes from some of the outlying pastures to the waterer some times! But it seems to work. Makes it easy to rotate pastures and paddocks.

I put up some panels and gates to split the waterer access. Here's a photo of the gate where the lanes all come together. Some of the pairs get together here but overall not too much bawling. I see what you are suggesting but I am on a much smaller scale in different type country than you, Roy and Russ and can't separate them as much as I'd like.

They'll have to be like this until breeding time late next June so the bull doesn't breed the 08 heifers too early. This method seems fairly simple and low stress - on both me and the cattle.

Some of the calves seem to enjoy being on good pasture and not being pushed away from the best hay, grass and mineral. The cows have access to the grazing standing corn experiment while the calves do not - probably a good idea. Here's a preg checking photo also.

Roy, I'd like to ready 1/2 hour early too - but just managed to get the weaning divider and gates up and all of them in the corral just before the vet pulled in. He really does a good job.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/5/2008 13:27

(Weaning Gate 11-01-08_IMG_3189.JPG)

(PregCheck_11_01_08_IMG_3179.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Weaning Gate 11-01-08_IMG_3189.JPG (98KB - 149 downloads)
Attachments PregCheck_11_01_08_IMG_3179.jpg (86KB - 137 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)