AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hard Question to Ask
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Lar
Posted 11/4/2008 17:07 (#497712 - in reply to #497430)
Subject: RE: Hard Question to Ask

Eastern Ontario
Sorry to read of your situation. Got a huge lump in my throat reading it. We just put down our 15 yr old Aussie on Sunday. He had cancer and started to seizure. My wife is a vet and was treating him at home. We made him as comfortable as possible to the end. Unfortunately, no matter how "good" a vet you are, animals do not all react the same to drugs. The previous two dogs we put down just went peacefully to sleep. I don't regret it at all. Our last one, Bear was not as easy. He was agitated from the seizure and would not rest. Sedation was administered IM and it did help quiet him, but he still was whining when my wife administered the euthenal. His behavior was most likely due to the seizure than anything else.

My suggestion would be to spend as much time with him as you can, let him do the things you normally wouldn't allow him to do (sleep on the couch) and make him as comfortable as possible. If you are not administering pain relief now, ask your vet for some. Bone cancer is very painful I understand. Do not wait or prolong his life further than should be. You will regret it. Having experienced both easy and difficult euthenasia's I would still choose a vet over a bullet. In my opinion, that is the most compassionate way to dispatch a loyal family companion. I have been lucky so far not to have experienced the loss of close family members. But I can tell you loosing a close family pet hurts bad. Crying isn't restricted to the girls only. All my best to you, Larry
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)