AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

drill vs row
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Thud
Posted 10/7/2006 19:51 (#49449 - in reply to #49433)
Subject: Re: drill vs row

Near-north Ontario, French River
Reason Im thinkin along those lines is I want to use a Great Plains series 25 row unit , and plant soys and wheat. With that unit I beleive I can get down to 10 inch wheat and still maintain the benefits of a row unit, namely accurate depth control and accurate population vs a drill.I figured I would try to get 10 inch wheat and beans in either 20 or twin 10's or some combination which would minimize moving row units around. Beans would be planted using a 30ft stacker bar, 24 rows ( at what ever spacing I settle on lol),,, for wheat the plan wouuld be to remove the row units from the stacker wings and reposition them onto the center section at 10 in spacing. The whole idea is probably more work then its worth but we are not at a scale to be able to justify two seperate planters. I thought of crowding the corn row to possibly take advantage of residual fertilzer from the corn crop, as well as staying as far as possible from wheel tracks with planting directly onto the corn row. On the other hand, if I the tires right on the old rows, that leaves the center or the row open to plant into. Decisions ,decisions LOL. Looks like the entire planter project wont happen until fall of 07, so I have lots of time to ponder things, and save up my pennies !
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)