AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Tests and knowing your soils
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 10/28/2008 19:34 (#492878 - in reply to #492788)
Subject: RE: Soil Tests and knowing your soils

Little River, TX
Thank you both.
I will have to sit down and slowly read and later reread the information to get a good feel for the information. I am just slow!

Brian I agree about the Nitrogen but for different reasons.
Few people sample deeper than 6 to 10 inches and those who do sample down deeper seldom look for Nitrates, or Ammonia. Rather they translate organic matter to potential nitrogen.
As I have mentioned in the past, here nitrogen does not leach beyond where the roots can reach. Ammonium is another cation and if there is a high enough CEC value much of or all the ammonium attaches to the clay particles and to a lessor extent to the organic matter.

I see very little mentioning of the remedial effect of putting phosphate fertilizer down the same slot as the Ammonia.

It is a "Known Fact" that phosphate forms calcium compounds and becomes unavailable to the crop. As much as 75% or 80%. What is seldom mentioned is this is not a permanent thing and much of that tied up phosphate in later years becomes available to a crop. It is not unusual, Here, for a crop to show in tissue analysis reports more phosphate than the soil test does.
What happens to potassium, Here, is opposite of the phosphate situation. Soil tests find excessive potassium while tissue testing report lower levels of potassium.
All a function of a calcareous high CEC values, 50 meq/100g.

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 10/29/2008 09:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)