AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grazing Standing Corn Followup
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Fenceman
Posted 10/28/2008 15:16 (#492808 - in reply to #492730)
Subject: RE: Grazing Standing Corn Followup

NE
Jim,
I used a 1' tape so to eliminate as much wind problems as I could, with that being said my cows respect elec fence real well even with corn right next to it. I use O'Brien step in posts, I've had great luck with them, they are more flexible than most others and have multiple settings for the tape/wire. They have 4 different settings on one side of the post that the tape can't get blown out or knocked out of....works well for this application. I would hook the tape to a non hot perimeter fence wire and take off thru standing corn, at the other end the reel the tape is rolled on has a crank you can tighten with and a nylon strap to throw over post to hold it there. The nylon strap is also used to put around neck when you are rolling it up by hand as you walk along it lays in your chest. It works well just to throw it over a post as it is non conductive, then I go back to beginning and snap hook to a wire that is hot. The reason I use tape is it is much more forgiving dragging thru cornstalks....no kinks,knots or breaks. I will tell you tho after two seasons ( 100 + days each) you will need new tape....the stalks will eventually break the wire fibers in the tape with abuse of wrapping it up every other day for 60 rods long in 30 seconds, other than that it works great. Maybe this weekend I'll snap some pics for you . I now have a new Ranger and they changed the stake pockets so it needs updated if I were to use it again, old Ranger had rectangle slots, new one has circles.
Fenceman
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)