AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dekalb Corn Pricing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

OIC
Posted 10/25/2008 21:21 (#490931 - in reply to #490509)
Subject: Re: Dekalb Corn Pricing

Thanks for correcting me. So I left agrobacterum transformation (aka agro technology) off my list of methods, it has been around for 20 years. The general arugment that I was trying to make was that some people like to discredit Pioneer because there are using marker technology to develop the Y series but yet when Monsanto is using technology that is 20 years old known as agrobacterium transformation to develop RR2 yield beans you guys believe it is new technology. Let's get some other facts straight, RR2 yield gene is the same Roundup protein gene (EPSPS CP4) that is in the roundup ready beans now, except now in the RR2 yield beans the roundup gene has been put into a different location by a bacteria Agrobacterium tumefaciens (with a promoter from the Thale cress plant and an enhancer from the Figwort mosaic virus). RR2 yield gene(MON 89788) is now located between genes that express yield. Again gene insertion from Agrobacterium tumefaciens has been around for years, Monsanto with RR2 yield was the first company to insert the agrobacterium through the meristem, but not the first company to use agrobacterium transformation. Both Monsanto and Pioneer are using techniques or technology that has been around for years but each company is making new discoveries with these genetic techniques.

Edited by OIC 10/26/2008 08:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)