AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dekalb Corn Pricing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

borisyeltson
Posted 10/24/2008 10:17 (#489837 - in reply to #489294)
Subject: Re: Dekalb Corn Pricing

West Central MN
Genetics, Traits, and good ole' common knowledge of field soil properties is very important to choosing your hybrids for the next year. I'm glad some of you are so cut and dry. I have been too for the past 4 years. Now I'm so messed up I don't know what to do. I turned mostly Dekalb 4-5 years ago after Pioneer quit performing on my ground as well as Dekalb. Now this spring I planted Dekalb Stacked and unstacked Corn, as well as Pioneer Stacked and unstacked corn to do some comparisons and really see what would work. These are some of the observations I can see. Convential Corn has stood as well of if not better than Stacked corn in both Companies. Does this mean I'm going to go all conventional, NO! But I think I will be splitting the planter next year 50/50 con/stack. The Dekalb is flatter and on the ground more than the Pioneer which typically has been the FLAT corn the past few years. We have started to change the F in the middle of the number to other words than FLAT while we were combining it. The Pioneer has consistentally out yielded the Dekalb this year by a minumum of 10 bushels an acre all the way up to 30 bushels an acre. This makes me very upset at my planting decisions. I will not however change completely to Pioneer next year because of this fall. This may just be a fluke. I will be planting 50% Dekalb and 50% Pioneer next year and making further management decisions based on next years performance. This just constitutes a few things that we are growers need to be aware of and it is scary how much this is becoming a reality. WE NEED TO BE CHOOSING HYBRIDS AND VARIETIES VERY CAREFUL. It litterally has come down to make or break a guy. Well, I'm going to go try and mud my way through some corn before this evil "S" word may come. Good luck boys. This year we all need it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)