AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

basis/canopy spraying now
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

patriotsprayer
Posted 10/23/2008 16:21 (#489126 - in reply to #488938)
Subject: RE: basis/canopy spraying now

Southeastern, PA. 30 miles west of Phila
DO NOT USE THAT PROGRAM!!!!

I am do custom application in southern Lancaster county and southern chester county. Following are the reasons why I would not use those products

1. Applying a fall residual is risky because you lock yourself into next years rotation months before you are planting, those materials esp. canopy are very water soluble and will move through the soil profile very rapidly. Esp. risky in PA if we have a warm wet winter.

2. I have a lot of experience apply Canopy EX prior to no-till soybean planting in the spring. It will hold braodleaf weeds but grasses will thick by mid May if you any amount of moisture.

I always tell my growers (these guys are no-till but do not plant cover crop) if you have winter annual weeds in the fall use the cheapest contact material you can find and then come back in the spring. Most times we use 2,4-D

Every year Dupont comes in here trying to get us on a fall program. Problem is all the field research they give us showing yield benefits, etc are always from the DelMarVa. Well you know as well as I do that their winter and our winter is much different!

Hope that helps.

Go Phillies!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)