AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yeild results from cover crop plots
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

conservation cop
Posted 10/20/2008 09:53 (#486427 - in reply to #485879)
Subject: RE: Yeild results from cover crop plots

Gettysburg, PA

Maritn, so many questions, so few answersUndecided

Majority of test area was one soil type the northern end of the field ,where oats were, is a less productive soil and may be (probably is) part of the reason the oats didn't do as well?  The N from poultry was calculated using 75% available given fall/winter application on a cover crop with the manure analysis of 60#N/ton.  Obviously this wouldn't hold true on the wheat fallow section or the oats and that may be reflected in the lower yeilds although the wheat fallow didn't seem to be affected nearly as much as the oats??  Oats winter killed at around 15-18" tall.  Nitrogen certainly could have been tied up in the decay of the residue, I just wouldn't have expected such a dramatic result.  We would have preferred to do "experiment" with no manure applied or commercial fertilizer, but, our producer wasn't going that far.  We aren't impressed with the berseem and really haven't pushed its use either.  It just doesn't get enough growth or cover before winter.  The crimson is still my first choice based on what we've seen, but, I can't complain about the red clover at all.  Some have mixed the two this past year.  I'm still nervous with the vetch, but, I will say that stuff makes one heck of a carpet if planted early enough!!  The residue breaks down quicker than the clover which is probably good for the N release but, when things got drier, the clover residue would hold more moisture.  I'm curious to see if we have any long term issues with the vetch as some have indicated.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)