AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting rid of alfalfa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

combine ken
Posted 10/19/2008 11:15 (#485801 - in reply to #485761)
Subject: RE: Getting rid of alfalfa

southern Alberta
If you have wild oats in your crop use Assert instead of Puma on them. Assert is hard on Alfalfa, so is Lontrel so Curtail M / Assert tank mix would be a good choice. Be aware of cropping restrictions the following year after Assert application. Puma is like water to Alfalfa but will get Foxtail. You probably will still have old well rooted Alfalfa plants with large underground crowns survive. A preharvest application of a liter of 540 gram glyfos should help take care of them. As for spring it will depend on the moisture level and what you seed with. If it is dryer and you seed with a shovel not a knife I would seed it and then pull out the old Morris rod weeder 3 days later and roll the new seedling weeds up. Glygos in spring will not hurt the Alfalfa as it greens up later than you probanly want to seed. Your main problem will be the old established plants. I did the same as you did and I am still battleing those old Alfalfa plants 4 yrs later, they are tough, might have to summerfallow it to finally get em.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)