AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

On farm corn drying Costs?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jasonl
Posted 10/19/2008 11:01 (#485790 - in reply to #485574)
Subject: Re: On farm corn drying Costs?

midwest

Loren,  I can not dispute you on the shrink factor, cause I honestly think nobody really knows?  I tried the last few years to keep track of what I haul in (without a scale), and yes the 1% is probably the minimum with what I haul out over the scale, but still you are going to give up the .3% or what ever it may be.

Oliver, As for the storage it does not cost alot for insurance and electricity on grain bins, I kinda just figure that into the no lines at home at harvest equation and getting more truck loads out of the field in a day deal.  I know, if you really want to pick it apart everyones operation is just a little different.  I like the flexability of having the grain at home and hauling it in the off season and picking up a little carry in the market, which I still figure makes me a good chunk of change and pays for my bins and drying setup, which I hope is still worth something in the end.

I also do alot of blending at home, so not all gets dried.  Just in the last few years I started that, and sure works good.  Where as if I hauled 16% corn to town they would take .15 cents minimum plus the 1.5% shrink.  But then again that is just my operation. I hope that helps you in my way of thinking and hope you all have a safe and high yielding harvest.

jasonl

Edited by jasonl 10/19/2008 11:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)