AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody have a dummies guide to growing alfalfa.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 10/18/2008 20:59 (#485447 - in reply to #485372)
Subject: I hope the 2 extension people I mentioned are of help.

Little River, TX
They should be able to provide local perspective advise.

If you seed dealer does not come through on time, consider planting wheat and planting alfalfa September 2009. One good thing seedling alfalfa takes cold weather better than established alfalfa with before being frosted back.
Once up you alfalfa should stay green all winter, unless it goes below about 22ยบ F. Even then it probably will just whither a bit.

As for seed dealers, I go right to the major companies and request the variety I want. How they get the seed here is up to them. Sometimes they shipped UPS. Before UPS became so expensive.

Not that I do not have full confidence in seed dealers, but here not a one knows alfalfa from bean soup. You may be in much the same situation. Not only that but I pay the price the Sales Rep for the company have agreed upon, if they drop the shipment at a local dealer. Does not make the dealer too happy but they are too usually ignorant to bother with. I have a good relationship with my local fertilizer and chemical dealer and they have accepted my seed a time or two.

One time though I had to drive up to Stillwater, Oklahoma to get my seed. Left the house at 5 am and got home at midnight. I was younger then.

For your reading try the Kentucky Alfalfa Symposium Proceedings. http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Forage/ProceedingsPage.htm

I also read the Proceedings from California, and Idaho.

If Georgia has a Georgia Forage & Grassland Council, consider joining them. Dues probably $25. I know Alabama has a forage & Grassland Council, contact Don Ball about joining them. They are close enough to be of some assistance. I am a member of the Kentucky Forage & Grassland Council. They provide me with a lot of good information so I support them.
I am a Charter Member of the California Alfalfa & Forage Association, not cheap, but worth it. I also drive a day and half to the New Mexico annual Hay Conferences. I have a number of friends in NM from when I was stationed there in the AF.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)