AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rice Production Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

MeGuedon
Posted 10/18/2008 11:34 (#485242)
Subject: Rice Production Question

Southwestern, MS
First off, hope everybody is having good luck with rice harvest. As for me, we got finished about one month ago. We have been fixing the ruts for the last couple of weeks. Its funny how the weather patterns work in my part of the US. As my father always says, "for us, it's either raining or it's not in our part of the world". After having one of the wettest August in history, and then Faye, Gustav, and Ike hitting us, it has not rained since Ike. We have been very fortunate to be able to fix most of the mess we created.

How is harvest or ground repair going in other parts? Has it gotten dry enough to disk ruts in, or is anyone having to roll ruts in water. I have about 20 acres left in a sloping field that was but cut before Gustav that will not dry up. This maybe the only ground that I will have to roll in water to fix the ruts. The rest of my post might should be placed in Market Talk, but its a question I want to ask. What is everyone's feeling about the rice market and fundamentals? I read an article from the "The Rice Report" distributed by the USRPA, that said that they believe that USDA's estimates on production is way, way to low. The USRPA conducted its own investigation to help evaluate the production figures. The article said, that the USRPA believes that the US would have to increase imports or decrease exports by 3.3 million CWT in order to keep ending stock above zero at the end of the this crop year (August 2009). I know on our farm that we show at least a 15% reduction in yield after all the weather events. Everyone I have talked with and the market reports that I read believe also that the fundamentals are present for there to be a price increase; decrease in production and a sustainable increase in demand. Is anyone holding rice and waiting for the increase in price or did a lot of rice get sold a month ago before this current fall in price?
Everyone have a safe harvest;
Noble

Edited by MeGuedon 10/18/2008 12:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)