AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twin Row Corn Harvest Pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Silver Shoes
Posted 10/14/2008 14:58 (#482201 - in reply to #481806)
Subject: RE: lol

Seneca Kansas 66538
Agboy, I think different spacings are for different people and locations. I always thought that 15 inch corn would be the bee's knees until I got to thinking about our contours, terraces, and hillsides. I then backed off the idea and started looking to 20" corn but didnt want to buy a new cornhead to make the switch. I wasnt afraid of moving to a planter that would widen out our bean rows because we have been planting 15 and 30's for years and dont see much difference in either of them. I did however want to figure out some way to better utilize my soil surface for corn. I liked the twin row because we could use the existing cornhead (GP claimed) and I thought the light inception into the rows might actually be better than in 20" but wasnt sure about that. The big thing I think we are going to notice with twins is the weed control and getting a canoppy quicker for moisture conservation. I also like the larger tires on the GP planter, lots of guys were getting their big planters stuck this spring and I almost got stuck once but didnt. Those large tires on the rear actually help alot more than one would think. I cant believe Kinze hasnt figured out a way to put them on their planters since they were the originators of the idea kinda on their original grain carts. John built a large cart that could handle soft ground easily. I have been wanting to figure out a way to put curvetines or some sort on the GP planter but Jim told me once that they werent designed for that particular machine. I guess its because the V point isnt close enough for them to work properly on this planter.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)