AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twin Row Corn Harvest Pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/12/2008 08:50 (#480417 - in reply to #480236)
Subject: RE: If I understand correctly -

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Brian,

Hey I'm not accusing anyone of anything. Please don't take it that way. I am just relating my experience as you are relating yours. Both are truthful, hopefully, and from that discussion maybe we can both gain some knowledge of why things are as they are.

Likewise, please don't accuse me of down playing twin rows "because we don't have anything..." In fact we have equipped a number of Kinze planters for twin rows. We run our standard double 14" double screw adjust Trashwheels on the lead row of each pair with the wheels set offset and the trailing wheel towards the center of the pair. Then we run a single 14" screw adjust Trashwheel on the trailing row of each pair, set to throw residue away from the center of the pair. Some customers will run our 1572 coulter combo on the lead row and our single wheel on the rear if they are in conditions where they want to cut the residue up front.

This creates a very nice 10-12" cleared path centered on the pair. Some folks will also use a Kinze fertilizer coulter centered between the rows or our 3004 fert coulter on the rear frame with its single wheel set as above. We have a couple customers who also plant twin rows on each edge of a single Pluribus strip.

The fact your 30" planter had Curvetines on it and the Twin row did not may also have something to do with the 10 bu yield advantage to the 30" especially if it was wet at planting.Wink

I asked a question as we often do here in the hope of learning something. No accusations were intended nor retaliation called for. That is not the way we generally operate here as far as I am concerned. I was just analyzing YOUR numbers and trying to understand them. Maybe these two side by side yield numbers are not comparable.... I am trying to understand why your feeling of enthusiasm for the twin row even though you said it yielded 10 bu less than the straight 30" planted next to it and later to boot.

There is no need to look at this as a confrontation, just a discussion. If you feel the earlier canopy and "stalk quality" this year offsets the $28 advantage to 30's including the difference in the seed cost + the unknown machinery cost difference then that explains it.

I'm glad you like the Curvetines on the 30" planter.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 10/12/2008 09:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)