AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twin Row Corn Harvest Pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/11/2008 08:50 (#479829 - in reply to #479774)
Subject: If I understand correctly -

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Brian, Thanks for the pictures and post. Let me see if I understand you correctly.

The twin row corn was planted earlier at 23,000 and yielded 170 bu/a.

The 30" single row corn next to it was planted later at 28,000 and yielded 180 bu.

If that is correct, and we use $200/80k bag of seed, the 5,000 difference in seed cost about 5/80 x 200 =  $12.50 advantage to the twin row on seed.

However a 10 bu difference in yield at say $4 means the single 30" brought in $40 more income. So that means the single 30" even though it was planted later brought in 40-12.50 =  $28.50 more income. This does not even start to include the much lower cost of a 30" planter compared to a twin row planter. 

I also don't at all understand your comment about how twin rows can possibly let you be more off of the row than single rows at harvest. I have twin row customers who, especially last year in MN with dry conditions and shorter corn plants, tell me they saw the exact opposite - the short corn plants being jerked to the side required you to be much more centered than the single row or they lost much more corn at the header...

Where is the big advantage to twin row corn?

Jim at Dawn 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)