AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-till corn vs. Fall Rip and Spring Field Cultivate
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 10/11/2008 07:41 (#479782 - in reply to #479634)
Subject: RE: No-till corn vs. Fall Rip and Spring Field Cultivate

Macon, IL
As a dedicated no-tiller I may get shot from some other compatriots but I do see a drag from no-till. That being said this is my 5th year and it is getting less and less.

My experience is limited obviously only to my farm and our area of the country and talking to people mostly in this area so before any tillage proponents rip me I am not saying everyone will have the same results. But from what I have seen in a dry year (or very dry year) that yes, no-till will perform as good or better than tillage on corn. In a cold wet year like we had this year you will pay the price for it.

FOR ME when I figure all the factors-and yes I have done trials and figured it every which way till Sunday-no-till works great for me. Takes less horsepower, less time, and I am getting some nice payments from CSP for meeting their requirements which I could not do if I were tillage. If those situations don't apply to you then your mileage may vary. I would recommend to anyone considering switching to or from no-till to definately try some trials ON YOUR FARM. Do the math and let the bottom line make your decisions.

I am considering a strip till trial as well.

Paul

Edited by pbutler 10/11/2008 07:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)