AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Well the crops suck worse than expected around here
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JoBob
Posted 10/10/2008 23:56 (#479702 - in reply to #479543)
Subject: Re: Well the crops suck worse than expected around here

West Central Wisconsin
We are about 2 hours west of Almond and I've been pleased with crops so far in our area,(east of LaCrosse). After getting spanked pretty bad the last three years we received some timely rains this summer. First field of beans we took 702 bu. off 15.7 acres for 44.7 bu./a on mostly good soil. Just finished 16 acre field tonight on heavy ground with 494 bu. on first load and guessing 380 for second load tommorrow and should run 55 bu./a. Now here's the the part that pleasantly surprised me...90,000 population on 30 inch rows! I had been in the 190,000-200,000 range and after listening to my seed guy and county agent had decided to back off a little bit and set the planter to 175,000, or so I thought. I set it and turned dad loose while I started spraying corn. I noticed he wasn't refilling as often as I thought he should so I checked the sprocket setting, twice. When he finished 105 acres later he told me there sure seemed to be a lot of seed left in the the seed wagon. Yeah, like 2,400 pounds. So I took a population check in July and came up with an average in the 90,000 range. I heard beans were very forgiving but wow! I can only imagine what the yield we be if I hadn't screwed up. The real test, however, will be tommorrow when I get into the lighter rented ground. I'll keep you informed. Joe.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)