AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Extension Agent is an IDIOT
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 10/9/2008 07:30 (#478409 - in reply to #477872)
Subject: Something to consider.

Little River, TX
Alfalfa uses a lot of potash, and potash is costly right now. Might want to get the owner in on the fertilizer cost, if your country is not fat on potash.
The Western States have not needed to use any or much potash in the past so that may not come into their equation. California lands are mostly high testing for potash, but they are now seeing leaf bronzing in cotton. Alfalfa uses more potash than cotton, but has a critical time in it's growth that it really needs potash. Alfalfa responds to top dressing better than cotton also.

I believe the standard for quality alfalfa in the West is much higher than what is accepted in the Eastern States. I believe Real Quality starts at 180 RFV. Here in Central Texas the old 20-30-40 standard for dairy quality is still good enough. For the usual quality I can put up the goat dairies are my best customers.

Here it is wet and humid during our alfalfa growing season but not near like it is in Louisiana and east of there. My nerves would not take putting up dry hay in those conditions. There I would think haylage would be a better option, for a more consistent quality.

On Rents here, 50 / 50 seems to work. Also here there, is very little hay sold on quality. If it is wrapped in a string it good hay. Also here, the buyers do not want to pay much more for hay of known quality than they have to pay for bar ditch hay.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)