AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Extension Agent is an IDIOT
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 10/8/2008 22:59 (#478248 - in reply to #478055)
Subject: RE: Extension Agent is an IDIOT

Grand Rapids, MI
Well..perhaps another consultant is needed to chime in here ;-) Of course you will get what you pay for :-)

I think Russ has a good point about risk. I am certainly not the expert on alfalfa, but my understanding is the price can vary substantially depending on the quality and the form of the crop.

That being said, I would expect the landowner would expect to be paid for the "highest and best use" of the land. Therefore if it was renting for corn/soybeans before, I would see little reason for the price to decline due to the alfalfa use. Carl makes some good points re: being good for the land, but my guess is it would be rare for a landowner to put much value on this, or if he/she would it would likely be a situation where they know they have compaction or some other problem that they know alfalfa would cure. The only other exception I know of is some people just want a field of alfalfa around their house or farm for asthetic reasons.

All this being said, if share cropping for alfalfa is uncommon for your area, I think you will have to do and present some analysis comparing a proposed arrangement to a corn/soy share crop. If there are variations in the timings of the landowners cash flows, I would either seek to adjust them out in the share percentages or use a time value of money analysis like a NPV to compare. Of course for less financially sophisticated landowners the former may be an easier sell. The bottom line is if you can show a similar return for a similar risk, and sell the environmental benefits of the alfalfa, I would think you have a winning proposal.

If you need assistance in putting together the numbers or a presentation, my firm may be able to help. If you are interested we should talk off the board about that.

Hope this "consultants" answer helps some :-)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)