AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grazing standing corn stalks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/8/2008 22:59 (#478245 - in reply to #478200)
Subject: RE: Grazing standing corn stalks

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I will try using the Ranger to knock some corn down rather than mow the paths for the wire but I am not sure it will lay it down well enough going across the rows with this tall tough corn.

I have a two wire electric running on the contour separating the corn from the adjacent pasture. It curves (like everything else in SW WI) so I use 6-1/2' T posts about 40 ft apart and Gallagher insulators. I use a Gallagher reel setup and step ins with aluminum single wire as the moveable portion runs up the mowed path to another  parallel permanent electric divider fence. 

The normal plan is to combine corn on the contour then move the cross wires through the stubble into January or when the snow covers everything edible. I have a lane in the center down to water and woods/cover and move the cross wires both ways away from the lane gradually exposing more corn as you did but in bigger bites.

I've tried some fiberglass posts but have lots of rocks and t posts seem to work ok. I can pull them out fairly easily when needed. I found these interesting little stamped metal brackets that help make a quick t-post end brace as shown in one of the photos in on the crop talk post.

I have to admit I feel a bit inadequeate describing my feeble attempts at fencing to someone with the name of "Fenceman"!

Jim at Dawn 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)