AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grazing standing corn stalks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/8/2008 21:52 (#478164 - in reply to #478129)
Subject: RE: Grazing standing corn stalks

Driftless SW Wisconsin

That's interesting, Frank. 1/10th acre per day for 25 cows (fall calves probably don't count much here) would be about 250 cow-days per acre. Which is in the ballpark of what Tim and MSU have been educating me towards above.

You probably did better than I will because of the daily moves. I just can't do that - I need a week at a time or more.

Your statement about the greener the plant... is exactly why I'm trying this. If I wait for this corn to dry enough to combine economically there won't be much time nor green left. I did see a nice increase in condition even on just the brown stalks and ears lost off of the cornhead last fall.

One thing about a larger area is that there will be less loss due to mowing. I think the calves may make fair use of the mowed area though. We'll see. It's interesting to hear it seemed to work for you.

If I just look at economics of the corn as it stands now, if for ease of math it is 200 bu x $4 (probably less local cash) - custom combining - hauling to the elevator in town - drying a good 10 points - cost of purchased hay for a month or so...that's why I'm trying this. Usually would be combining corn now, then graze. 

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 10/8/2008 21:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)