AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

8 row peanut digger pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 10/8/2008 14:36 (#477828 - in reply to #477380)
Subject: RE: Thanks for posting the photos....question?

Oklahoma
Thanks for posting the photos.

I was wondering if you could explain something to me, if not, I understand it is a touchy subject with some. Where my family farms there use to be lots of peanuts grown (central and southern OK) and something happened with farm programs where there was a "buy out". I was in high school at the time, my family was strictly cattle and hay oriented, and didn't really care about peanuts since we didn't grow them, so I didn't know if this was a regional thing or what. We have lots of neighbors that grew peanuts and almost overnight they all sold their equipment and lots of small town shellers closed their doors or converted to other enterprises. From what I have been told from a few neighbors, there was a buyout of quota and as a result they either couldn't grow peanuts OR there was no longer govt payments tied to them. I still see them being grown in other parts of the country so it must at be showing some profit to soemone and was just curious.

Obviously there are huge equipment and fungicide costs but being a legume, we are always looking for other crops to break up a rotation. I didn't know if there was something that happened to basically close shop on an entire industry here.

Thanks again.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)