AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sorgum Sudan grass
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

farmersamm
Posted 10/5/2008 01:29 (#475138 - in reply to #465299)
Subject: RE: Sorgum Sudan grass

Oklahoma

The real problem with a sorghum sudan hybrid is nitrates, not prussic acid.

Haygrazer cut after a long period of drought will concentrate nitrates in the lower 6" of the stalk. Also the nitrate concentration depends on your fertilizer program. Any more than 50lbs. actual in preplant, or topdress can cause problems.

If you're concerned, don't ask folks over the net. GET IT TESTED. Any local farm extension office will take samples and test them. There are different levels of toxicity. Varying from danger of aborted fetuses, to death. Nitrate toxicity at it's worst can kill your cows in as little as one hour. Take samples from about 4-6 seperate areas of the field.

Another way to insure that the hay's safe is to wait until it's topped. Now most of the folks will tell you that the quality drops as it approaches heading. Horse****. It still feeds well, and they get fat on it. Waist high is the common wives tale. Don't bet on it. When it's topped, you know darn sure and well that all of the fertilizer has been utilized, and isn't being stored in the plant.

I cut like this every year. The goodies in Haygrazer are in the stem. High sugar content. It's right up there in palatability with alfalfa. Stemmy isn't a bad thing. If you remember, sorghum syrup used to be a staple on the breakfast table. the stem's full of good stuff.

Somebody's goin' to climb all over me on this post. Big Grin. But I sure like the yield, and I've never had nitrate problems.

I still don't know how to insert a pic on this site.

(Picture 335.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Picture 335.jpg (43KB - 250 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)