AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Started planting grass this week. (few pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 9/28/2006 20:40 (#47449 - in reply to #47439)
Subject: Sounds allmost like the laws here.

Well, I'd say we have a pretty close chemical program to yours in many ways. For the most part, we try to rotate chemical programs to avoid resistance. Ok, I cant/wont suggest a program for you specifically,.....cause, well, you know,.........laws and stuff. But, ok, what I will likely end up doing for this new seeding,(if it makes it) now that i have put down 3lbs/acre karmex (Iused direx this time), is to go back in post-emerge with some Nortron. Again, spendy stuff, but effective. Depends on the weed spectrum and pressure, but likely it will only take a pint/pint and a half rate, and maybe a second shot of Nortron a few weeks after that. Sometimes Nortron will have to go on during a hard frost morning so I dont sink with the sprayer. Then, I should be good till spring phenoxy. For that, likely a shot of mcpa with dicamba. Hopefully that will only take about a pint of mcpa and maybe 4oz. dicamba. If there is speedwell and/or henbit pressure, I may have to tank mix an ounce of AIM with it. I dont like doing that, but sometimes its nesassary(sp).

Now keep in mind that in the spring we do send a crew out with packpack sprayers with glyphosate. This where the labor cost gets expensive. But, to raise certified seed, and hopefully pay the bills for another year, it has to be done. In a first year field, we may have to go over it with packpacks up to 3 times. In an established field, maybe only once and then a border cleanup.

Now for the chem program on an established field, after the first rains in the fall, we'll likely go in with a shot of Axiom and goal mixed. This is for the "sprout" that is the shattered seed that will come between the rows, and for some residual herbicide effect. Sometimes, we have to go in in november/december with a shot of karmex as well, then the usual phenoxy's and so forth. Once established, we no longer have to use Nortron. I also have'nt included any growth regulators that may be used. They are mostly an individual choice. Some growth regulators will also have a herbicide effect if used in certain quantities.

Depending on the equipment at your disposal, you can also look into a wiper for some of the volunteer grasses and grains. Here is a link to one of the coolest wipers made. This thing works fantastic.
http://www.agriweld.com/pages/weedwipers.html It is an option that should be looked into.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more if you need to. If I think of something that I forgot to add, I'll get back to you with the info.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)