AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A cure for high fertilizer prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mustard
Posted 9/26/2008 09:49 (#469757 - in reply to #469510)
Subject: This is a better option, IMO.

Kindersley Sk.
Here's the rumour that was e-mailed to me.

"Just thought I should give everyone a heads up on this call. Talked to a producer near Warspite who was investigating the possibility of purchasing urea from Russia. Apparently, about 82 Hutterite colonies on the prairies have got together and are planning to import 150,000 tonnes of urea from Russia over the winter. Other farmers, hearing about this have jumped on the bandwagon. Meyers,Norris and Penny have been retained to manage the payment. There is a trust account set up with the Royal Bank for payment. As well, they have engaged a company to test the fertilizer prior to payment. A company, EcoChem, is their broker to purchase the fertilizer. The local Canadian office for EcoChem is located in Delia. However, there is an Eco Chem International company out of Copenhagen which deals in chemicals and say they have offices in 44 countries. If these are the same Eco Chem then the project is quite possible. This producer who phoned was being quoted a price for urea delivered to a siding in Stettler at $575/tonne. There is supposed to be the first boatload of urea coming in November. I checked the Better Business Bureau and there is no record of complaints or even the company itself. Baltic shipping rates have slumped to recent lows so it may be possible to ship fertilizer to Canada from overseas cheaper than Agrium and other continental manufacturers are charging. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything else. "

Sounds interesting, If it is true, I hope it becomes a viable option for fertilizer users.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)