AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High Tensile fencing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Fenceman
Posted 9/23/2008 22:51 (#467926 - in reply to #467531)
Subject: RE: High Tensile fencing

NE
First question I would ask you is have you had the cows up against electric fencing before and how did they respect it ? I would never train new cows to ANY electric fence along a busy highway unless they were used to it and have been trained so to speak. Easiest way to train them is in a smaller lot where if they do get thru you still can have them contained, it won't take long and they'll understand what a electric fence is.
With that being said, is this a fence you'll use every year or just this fall and done ? That would depend on what type I would recomend. Hi Tensile wire itself is cheap and strong but takes some time to get used to using it along with a couple special tools makes the job relatively easy. Wire itself will run you approx. 2 -2 1/2 cents a foot/wire so theres nothing else you can use that cheap for that strong (1850 psi ) If its a one time deal you may want to use a poly or tape but otherwise Hi Tensile would be my choice. Posts and ends are your biggest cost factors, altho a 2 or 3 wire won't require that heavy of end sections ( singles)
One type of post you may want to consider is the "Powerflex " composite posts. I've had great success using them for paddock divisions and cross fences. I love the fact of NO insulators and just about impossible to break. You can also hand drive them fast and easy . Answer a couple questions as how long a term you expect this fence to be and I'd be happy to give other suggestions or places to order materials from .
Good Luck
Fenceman
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)