AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cattle corrals
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 9/11/2008 14:57 (#457571 - in reply to #457467)
Subject: RE: cattle corrals

Oklahoma
I don't know where your located but I helped my dad build a small corral about 8-10 years ago out of old oilfield tanks. We were going to go the grain bin route and found old oil tanks cheaper. Built a tub out of the sides of the tank, and then flattened what was left and used it on the alleys and crowd gate. With the oil boom going on now, you probably can't pick one up very reasonable unless it is totally rusted out or radioactive (if you go the oilfield route, check it for radioactivity before agreeing to take it, you don't want that junk). Ours were free if we would haul them off and the bottoms were rusted out but the tops and most of the sides were still good. Used guardrail that Dad bought at a highway dept surplus sale for the pens with a pipe toprail, gates that were not a crowd gate were a pipe frame with wire panel welded to it.

We kind of worried the wire panels wouldn't hold up well but local salebarn rebuilt their facilities a couple years back and all their pens are pipe top, bottom and middle rail with woven wire panels welded on. Anytime a panel is damaged they torch it off and weld a new one back on (or at least a section). There facility seems to work well and they have run alot more cattle by their panels than we have ours so it might be a decent option.

Edited by jcs 9/11/2008 15:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)