AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting Started - Young & Beginner
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

proud2Bafarmer
Posted 9/10/2008 08:16 (#456471 - in reply to #455395)
Subject: RE: Boyd and trf64...

Baldwin City, KS
both have good, positive advice. If you really want to farm, you can do it. Just make up your mind to always say "I can do that too", everytime you see that "fierce competitor" or "BTO". We all have the same basic equipment, two arms, two legs, one brain, and a hell of alot of try. We just try to do the same thing coming from different situations and backgrounds. I will say that patience and respect for your colleagues will get you much farther in the long run than the alternative, however, you do have to go after it since nothing will ever fall into your lap. I would suggest that the best way to gain the experience you need would be to work evenings and weekends for a good local farmer, and ask every question that crosses your mind, no matter how dumb you think it might be.
On the other hand, take trf64's advice as well. For years my brother and I have watched a friend of his work for his uncle for zero pay, and even bail the guy out many times to the tune of thousands of dollars and not getting paid back (uncle's a bad crook). He always said he hoped to get the farm someday, and finally figured out that won't happen. For quite some time, my brother and I have been at the conclusion that he doesn't really want to "farm" as bad as he wants to be running a tractor or combine. No other reason a guy would stick around and take that abuse. Even if he had gotten the farm, the uncle had dissentegrated things beyond repair, and he would have to farm and work for the next 20 years to get in the black.
Maybe a bad example, but I can think of many other local guys that work for farmers on evenings and weekends just because they like being around it. I'd say, go work for someone to gain some knowlege and experience. Then figure out what you really want to do and have at it. Best of luck to you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)