AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting Started - Young & Beginner
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ten-Four
Posted 9/9/2008 01:31 (#455607 - in reply to #454139)
Subject: Re: Getting Started - Young & Beginner

EC Nebraska
Lance,
The answer to your question is...There is no right (or wrong) answer. I am also in my late twenties and am a fifth generation farmer. I started driving a tractor before I could reach the clutch just as most kids did who grew up on a farm. I grew up eating, breathing, and sleeping farming. I always knew that farming was what I wanted to do. I went to college and got a BS in (you guessed it) Ag Science. And I can assure you that I feel just as clueless about farming as you do after all of it. I can guarantee you that you will not find your answer in a book, on the internet, or by going to school (wish somebody would have told me that before college). The only way to learn is by doing. What works this year probably will not work next year. What pencils out this year, might not look so great next year. The decisions I make today, I might regret tomorrow (and the following 364 days of the year). It is a very emotional profession. But I will tell you that it is one of the most rewarding.
If you truly want to farm go for it. But I urge you to be conservative at first. I would not begin by buying land. However, that is my opinion and not an answer to your question. I have a good friend who matches your description. He has an awesome paying city job (in the family business) and stands to take over a multi-multi-million dollar company (no kidding). He always gave me a hard time saying that "farming is like having a yard, but you only have to mow it once a year". Last year he bought 70 +/- acres with 56 of it tillable. He came to me for advice on whether to rent it out or have it custom farmed. I told him that if he was ever going to make money doing it, this would be the year to have it custom farmed. He took my advice and he is going nuts. He is finding out the hard way that the labor is the easy part (if there is one)...the marketing, expenses, and the decision making are the hard parts.
I would agree with several of the other posts. I think the best possible route you could take would be to find somebody that is looking for help. Possibly an older guy with no one to take over the farm. They are out there, trust me. And I'm willing to bet that a lot of them would love to see their legacy carried on by an ambitious younger guy trying to make a go of it, rather than the jumbo operation across the road.

Take all of this for what it is worth. I hope it helps a little. Typing this made me step back and take a good hard look at myself and what I am doing. Truthfully, It might have helped me just as much as it will help you. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail for some more perspective from a younger guy. Not many of us out here. I would be glad to help any way I can. E-mail should be in my profile.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)