AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Michigan farmers?????????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

houghta3
Posted 9/8/2008 23:44 (#455560 - in reply to #455459)
Subject: RE: Michigan farmers?????????

Saginaw Michigan
not sure where your from, but here is what we have had. i live in eastern saginaw county and farm in saginaw, tuscola, bay and sanilac counties. i wil generalize what i am seeing

Wet COLD april, DRY COLD may, Wet Cool June, WET WET WET July(13 inches at my house) Wet HOT august and so far a wet sept.

Sugar Beets will be fantastic, early samples indicate a 25 ton crop as of last week, so i am guessing our company avgs close to 30 factory wide. harvest will start next monday. these rains just keep making the crop bigger. i bet we are gaining 1.5ton/week right now

Corn here looks to be 200+ but late and WET. no black layer yet. Alot of leaf rusts and some stalk rots showing up. hope we can wait for it to dry down some, but i have my doubts how long it will all stand.

soys look nice, very little mold considering the weather we have had, but estimating yield on those buggers can drive a guy to drink. these hurricane rains should be making bushels

dry beans look decent considering the trouble they have been through. went in late into cold soils, then got several pounding rains when i say pounders i mean pounders. i had 4" one nite and i think it came in about a half an hour. alot of replants, alot of bare spots, crappy between the tile. we have had consistent showers all july and august which have kept them going. from my travels in the thumb i would say most guys will harvest more than they thought they would back in july. i would say yields should come in about average. we wont have any for about 10-14 days. there are still too many dry beans that are still flowering and setting pods. we will need a late late frost to get all the acres in the truck.

cucumbers: i think the crop ended up about average across the entire central mi growing area. just what i would guess from talking to guys. yields were all ofver the board, some very high, some very low, throw them all together and i think we shold hit the average.

right now it is raining pretty steady out my back door. hoping for an indian summer and late frost
-mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)