AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bin run wheat seed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hawken Cougar
Posted 9/7/2008 21:55 (#454504 - in reply to #454424)
Subject: RE: Bull Hockey!!

So. IL

Phil N - 9/7/2008 19:48
There are data sets from various universities across the USA that document small yield increases (1-3bu/ac) are potentially available from certified seed compared to cleaned "bin-run" wheat.

Careful, you are likely to be treading on thin ice with this comment. Show me the specific reasons for the yield difference in each instance and then we will have something to talk about.

My concern (and the concern that most of the growers who I consult for share) is that if everyone saves and plants their own wheat seed, no money is returned to the breeders for genetic improvements in the future. There are not many seed companies left in the USA these days and the number is dwindling fast, principally because lots of farmers have been saving seed. KS/OK/TX/OK are all good examples of areas where most of the seed has been saved over the years and companies like Pioneer were forced to exit the hard wheat business.

Any possibility that a company named Monsanto has had a hand in the dwindling number of seed companies?   

BTW - Pioneer chose to enter that business and likewise chose to exit that business. They were not forced. They made the decision going both ways.

I don't sell seed, but everyone should remember that without adequate funds being returned to the wheat seed breeders, you will have declining genetics and stagnant future yield potential.

Declining genetics, no.   Flatline genetics, maybe.

Stagnant future yield potential, maybe.  Lost future yield potential, no. It still can be developed.  

The ultimate goal of farming is to return a profit. When my yield potential is equal to my neighbor that is no longer a factor where I need to spend money to "out yield" him.

Advances in seed breeding programs are needed when other countries have genetics that exceed those available in the USA. As it stands my dollars have been used to support a couple large genetic labs that take my money and distribute the fruits of this investment to other countries who immediately become a greater competition threat to me and my neighbor's business. 

Sorry Phil, I have opinions too.

Edited by Hawken Cougar 9/7/2008 22:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)