AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fattening holsteins
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

hawkfan
Posted 8/20/2008 10:44 (#439130 - in reply to #439009)
Subject: RE: fattening holsteins

NW Iowa
Not all made choice because there were a few what I call railey (tall thin boney and never finish) . Smithfield in Green Bay killed em, and they did pay for the freight, but the in the meat bid price was adjusted accordingly. The last two loads to go had 1 dark cutter, and 3 standards, and I know which ones they were too. I was deducted $35 hwt in the meat on those four, as they do not stand any "out" cattle. I have fed holsteins in the past that went out at over 85% choice and prime. They went to IBP and were fed from bottle to finish on hard feed. Today Tyson will noy kill any holstein over 58" tall, as they drag while on the rail. Tyson will buy them if they are the "right kind". The two major players for holsteins are American Foods and Smithfield in Green Bay. An individual needs to be careful on steiners, as there are several poor steines out there that just don't have the frame, or body and muscle score to reach choice. Don't buy cheap, green ugly holsteins as they will more than likely always look that way and that was a lesson I learned the hard way. Those ugly ones also eat as much corn as the pretty ones too. You can buy green somewhat ugly colored cattle and get them to finish, but not a holstein.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)