AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cows Bunching In Summer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JVKnoblock
Posted 8/15/2008 21:44 (#436237 - in reply to #435652)
Subject: RE: Cows Bunching In Summer

The vast majority of the time cows are clumping in the barn because flies are getting them. All it takes is 6 flies on each cow and the whole herd will be clumping up. I have seen this in brand new freestall barns.

Some suggestions:
-keep the doors on the east end of the barn shut in the morning until about 11:30/noon, then open the east doors and shut the west doors until late afternoon. This helps the cows excape the direct sunlight and associated fly activity.
-spraying/pouring the cows seems to help some, but not entirely. I have heard a few guys have success with a pour on like Ultra Boss and the pymethrin spray on the cows bellies and legs.
-use a residual surface spray on the beams and walls in the barn. Be sure to check the label as some sprays do remain effective for weeks.
-several dairies are using an "orchard" sprayer to spray the grass and trees around the dairy. This is done in the early morning or late evening when the flies are "roosting" outside the barn.

The email in my profile works. If you send me an email I can forward to you a fact sheet from a great dairy consultant that goes into more detail on fly control.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)