AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

storing distillers grains
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mike in sw mn
Posted 8/13/2008 10:50 (#434291 - in reply to #433892)
Subject: Re: storing distillers grains

Walnut Grove MN USA
I don't feed cattle and never have but I do haul the WDGs commercially once in a while. Last summer about this time we did a stock pile for a guy. He had done this before so here it goes. We would dump a load and he would take his loader and try to pile the wdg as high as he could, taking care to smooth the pile as much as he could. I think we brought him about 15 loads total. He made one big pile trying to limit surface area as much as he could. After it cooled a day or two he would cover it with plastic as tight as he could get it. I think that was about a 9 month supply for him. He asked us to ask the loader operator at the plant to load the oldest WDG first, his thinking was that it had cooled down some already. Have also hauled some to a guy that was going to bag it, don't know how that turned out. I don't know how you would ever get the stuff into a Harvestore much less get it out, keep in mind it is really heavy, not sure a silo could take the weight. One thing you MUST watch when feeding it is the sulfer levels. Get too high and cattle start dying, a couple of the guys I delivered to lost more than a few head before they figured it out. Know your sulfur levels in all your feed and water. More than one guy has come up to me bragging about how well his cattle are doing on the wdg. Some guys grind corn stalks and mix wdgs for stock cows, some use poor quality grass or straw as well. Doesn't matter if they are a large feedlot or just a cow calf operation they all keep buying the stuff. As far as a place to put it some guys just dump it on the ground by the silage pile and some build nice commodity sheds to with full concrete aprons to dump on(I like those). Whatever you do make sure it is a well drained solid area with lots of room for a semi to get around.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)