AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pics of the deformed barley.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sakeller
Posted 8/12/2008 12:40 (#433658 - in reply to #433418)
Subject: Re: Pics of the deformed barley.

Camrose, Alberta
We have grown Copeland barley for a number of years and I can't remember seeing heads like that. Did you buy certified seed or is it bin run?

Some ideas I had are:
1. Hail damage when the head was still in the boot before emergence.
2. Heat damage before the head emerged.
3. Copper deficiency can cause twisting of the head, but I am not conviced its copper since it does not show other symptoms. You said the field was previously a forest, high organic soils and sandy soils are more likely to show copper deficiencies.
4. Group 4 herbicide (phenoxys) damage caused by spraying too early can cause head twisting. Its more common in wheat than barley, since barley is more tolerant to phenoxys. Group 4 herbicides are growth regulators and cause weed death by making them over-grow. Group 4 symptoms often look like mutated growth (twisting). Even if you applied the herbicide within the recommended window, the drought you are experiencing may have reduced the barleys ability to metabolize the herbicide.

You should definetely call a CCA, chem rep or Ag Fieldman to have them asses the field.

What herbicides did you use on the barley?

Have you used any Tordon or Grazon (picloram) in the last few years to control the regrowth of the trees?

Edited by sakeller 8/12/2008 12:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)