AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone ever seen such a cool summer? How will it affect the crops?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

95h
Posted 8/11/2008 19:04 (#433125 - in reply to #432992)
Subject: I wouldn't say great... just want to give a complete answer..

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

About the only thing worse than getting 1/2 an answer,, is asking 1/2 a question then wanting a complete answer. So,, figure is better to relate all my experiences than to leave something out. A person can always choose to not read everything I wrote,, but tuff reading if I'd left out 1/2 the answer eh??

One thing I did forget to say was this year I had a field with bad quackgrass in it and good moisture. So, early spring I got out the disk, scruffed it around left it fairly flat then just waited. As the nights were still freezing I wasn't in too much of a rush to put the Teff in. As expected the quackgrass went NUTZ!!  Looked like I'd already seeded something.. 3 days before planting the Teff, I KILT that quackgrass Dead with 3qt's roundup, and spreader/sticker. WOOHOO!  then fert-Teff, rolled in and started watering within 1 week. Teff started fantastic,, (weather was actually warmer end of May than last week!!) There is almost no weeds or quackgrass in that field. Walked it to death irrigating,, and Ive really got to concentrate to find a weed.

I have been wondering if,, and I think it's possible.. take off 1st cutting of timothy, irrigate it one time asap after bales are off, Kill it off dead with roundup, wool the ground around pretty good, throw down some teff. (so the Teff is in the ground by 2nd week of July)  water it good, kill off the weeds, get one cutting by mid late September, then driect seed down timothy again.  I've got one field that does well tonnage-quality wise 1st cutting but it's getting old and 2nd cutting is raggety looking and weeds have started hurting the quality thou I've sprayed the snot out of them.  I very well may try that next spring on one of the older timothy fields.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)